Evaluating Patron Experience of Hoopla and Overdrive

I attended a workshop last week about Project Outcome and was hoping to use it to evaluate our patrons’ experiences with Hoopla and Overdrive. Both of the categories I’ve tried (Lifelong Learning and Digital Skills) ask the questions in a way that is not quite applicable to the usage of an online service. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better category?

Kelly Bennett
Head of Circulation, Ferndale Area District Library

Hi Kelly! So cool that you’re looking at other service evaluations too! I checked in with our Electronic Resources Librarian, Mike Hawkins. We’ve been doing some evaluation of demand-driven acquisition with OverDrive. Here’s what he had to say:

"We sent out a survey in January of 2016 and again in December to our customers who had checked out an ebook in the last 12 months. Here’s a copy of the questions that we sent out using Google Docs. The main question we had was whether customers preferred to get their ebooks and audiobooks sooner (lower holds to copy ratio) or to have more choice in the collection. A large majority (80%) preferred more choice, so we’ve focused on expanding our OverDrive collection. We also used the survey to inform whether we should raise our holds and checkout limits.

As for hoopla we haven’t used a survey, but we did compare the cost per circ between hoopla and OverDrive. Due to the large amount of duplication and the much larger cost per circ with hoopla audiobooks, we decided it wasn’t worth continuing with hoopla’s audiobook module."

I hope this helps! And I’ll copy that hyperlink again separately, just in case it doesn’t work…

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your survey! I’m hoping we can put something together soon. I’ll share when we do!